A Growing List of Wise Quotes and Articles About Life/Art/Poetry by Pete Lorins
A Growing List of Lorins-Written or Selected Wise Quotes - Quote#60 Reached!!!
By Pete Lorins
I have always been a lover of quotes. Throughout the past year or so, I have been planning and writing a life-changing autobiography towards a specific goal. As I pray that Almighty God blesses my vison, quite often my own quotes or those of others seem to put things into context or perspective for me. Often they are like wisdom snippets; and just like little delicious pieces of candies, they often leave my 'taste buds" raging for more and more. ENJOY!
1. THE BUFFET - Life is like a lovely buffet restaurant. A wise one is the one who realizes that
s/he cannot cannot fully enjoy all or the best of it, UNLESS s/he enjoys a few small portions of
it at a time and at the right pace and chew adequately/moderately (to savor each piece or a
combination of small pieces at a time) and make room for different yet equally enjoyable
portions, and do so enjoyably until the very last bite/drop/sip/breath. There might be a few
sneezes, tongue biting, or blowing of the nose along the way depending on how spicy the meal
is, but they are all well worth it (and superseded by the sheer quality of the experience). And as
such, the time at the buffet will have been a time well spent with no regrets.
-- Pete Lorins
2. THE ULTIMATE PROFESSOR - Life is God's ultimate chosen professor. Unless you're
subscribed to a particular religion, it comes with no syllabus/instructions, yet the ultimate
syllabus is common sense, which has been said by many wise ones to be very uncommon. But
if there are a few of us who dare to be student of it (i.e., life) through discernment, who will have
mastered the most important lessons that it can offer in our short lifetime; then those of us can
rise to the level of true leadership to shed light on the rest of us who are lost in a World that has
become too uncertain for too many of us around the World. ~ Pete Lorins
3. DIE TRYING -- It is better to die while giving life your best shot, then to believe that you
can never be great at anything because God has given each of us a talent that until tapped into
remains stagnant, unreactive and seemingly useless. A man or woman has the first ultimate
duty of doing his/her best to find that talent and tap into it and achieve the greatess that only
the ultimate creator could have placed in him/her when HE chose to bring him/her into existence
even before s/he was conceived. It is NEVER too late to tap into your personal greatness...
Don't Die with WHAT IFs and certainly don't die Wondering what could have been had you at
least tried! -- Pete Lorins
4. EDUCATION -- Education is rarely easily achievable. Whether we're getting it from our
parents, a whole "village/world", or from our teachers/professors through pedagogy or
andragogy, it takes time, patience, persistence, determination, self-discipline, and at times the
whole experience may be bring temporary moments of trials and setbacks. But for those of us
who will have resisted all the other distractions and competing interests, and thus will have
invested time and energy into their education, the results are second to none, and are
undisputably priceless. There is a sense of fulfilment, and a sense of "I'll find a way to triumph
no matter what life brings!" ~ Pete Lorins
5. GREAT ENDEAVORS/FAITH -- Every great endeavor starts with a seemngly
unconquerable mountain. Yet, for those of us who have sheer will, persistence and
determination, that mountain has no other choice but to disappear in time. And this can only
mean that sheer will, persistence and determination are only inferior to God/Love and thus to
nothing else. ~ Pete Lorins
6. DESIRE/FAITH/ACTION/LOVE? -- almost all of the wisest ones of us believe that desire
leads to faith , and that faith leads to action (else it is dead), which leads to more desire, which
leads to more faith, and thus more action, so on and so forth. But what they fail to realize is
that something has to ignite that very DESIRE/PASSION (fire in the belly), and that something is
LOVE... a love for self; a love for GOD, a love for one's family, or significant other; a love
for life; or even a love for success. LOVE/GOD created the World and without love there will be
no desire and thus no faith and thus no action. ~ Pete Lorins
7. MEN and WOMEN (or Males and Females) -- A woman just wants to know that she is
more cherished by her man than any other female in the world has ever been. It is seemingly a
rather selfish desire, yet it is how God intended her to be, for God requires that we cherish HIM
more than any other things in life. To a woman, gifts and flowers are only ways of showing that
she is cherished or cherisable, but they don't replace her need for affection, attention; her need
to feel desired, conquered and captivated. So, why try to change women when we can spend
that energy on truly conquering them mind, body and soul. On the other hand, the man just
wants to feel like he is in charge (even when he, truly, is not), that he is the king and protector of
his castle. Essentially he also needs to feel that he has a queen else he will be looking for one
(trust me). He wants to feel that he is the World for his woman; that she will honor him with
her love as an exchange for him making her feel like she is second to none. Yes, it's all about
the woman's FEELINGS and never about logic. She does not care about logic unless it makes
her feel GREAT or the way God wanted her to feel when she is truly being cherished by the right
man. We should just accept each other as opposed to trying to change men into women or
women into men. It's a symbiotic relationship that can only be perfected by three continuous
ingredients: (i) true love or admiration; (ii) communication and understanding; and (iii) a feeling
of lifelong commitment, whether achievable or not. ~ Pete Lorins
8. We can be wise when we learn to regard all human beings as equal. There can be no wisdom in prejudice ~ Unknown
9. Know yourself better than those who speak of you ~ Unknown
10. Not to know is bad, but not to wish to know is worse ~ Unknown
11. Genius is a God-given gift, but wisdom can only be learned through mistakes or experience ~ Pete Lorins
12. One can judge the true character of a man/woman by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him/her ~ Unknown
13. Rebuke with soft words and hard arguments. ~ Unknown
14. It is better to be sometimes chaeated than never to trust. ~ Unknown
15. Conduct yourself in such a way that your bring joy to your friends and none to your foes. ~ Unknown
16. The path of wisdom is steep and stony. It takes courage to set out upon it. ~ Unknown
17. Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side. ~ Jewish proverb.
18. Don't argue with an idiot because people who are watching may not be able to tell the difference. Unknown
19. Enjoy the little things in life; one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things. ~ Unknown
20. Time ripes all things. No person is born wise. ~ Cervantes
21. In lif, we must face the fact that, however hard we try, we may not achieve our goals. That is a possibility. But if we don't try, we are certain not to achieve our goals. ~ Unknownn
22. WISDOM? - it is a combination of intelligence, experience, knowledge, and understanding. It's also tolerance, to cope with the ups and downs of life, and awareness of how events will play out over the long term. ~ Unknown.
23. Never become concerned about what others think about your vision, mindset, or aspirations... know thyself and who is truly looking out for you and march on! ~ Pete Lorins
24. Love & know thyself, keep a positive attitude, be nice to all, and you'll see the best sides of life and others... and yes, God can bless you wherever you are, but location does matter here on Earth. ~ Pete Lorins
25. The wealthiest man in the World is the one who has good health throughout his life ~Unknown
26. Days go by slowly, years quickly. This is the paradox of time, and one that we struggle to understand. ~ Unknown
27. The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain any idea without accepting it. ~ Aristotle
28. When people are bored, it is primarily with themselves. ~ Eric Hoffer
29. "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough, we must do.” - Leonardo da da Vinci
30. "How wonderful that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world.” - Anne Frank
31. “Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have.” - Margaret Mead
32. “Go out into the world and do good until there is too much good in the world.” - Larry Miller
33. “When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
34. “I feel that the greatest reward for doing is the opportunity to do more.” - Dr. Jonas Salk
35. “Your thoughts, words and deeds are painting the world around you.” - Jewel Diamond Taylor
36. “The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it.” - Colin Wilson
37. “We can choose to be affected by the world or we can choose to affect the world.” - Heidi Wills
38. Remember that the world is always much bigger than your reality allows you to believe it is. Go out there, explore, get to know people of all walks of life, and then you might realize how little your world is compared to the grand scheme of things, yet if you open your heart to others, your World can change the World at large~ Pete Lorins
39. RACE: I make race jokes with Black and White Friends every day. I'm sorry about this Hispanics, Asians (e.g., Chinese, Indians), you don't matter. JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING. GEEZ! As annoyed I am about human stupidity when it comes to race, I assure you that I'm EQUALLY AMUSED at how STUPID we can be as human-beings when it comes to race. We all try to be like each other sometimes b/c we're all just ABOUT THE SAME DAMN THING == > A HUMAN BEING! I have more fun about it all most of the time, but sometimes like everything else, it annoys the heck out of me ~ Pete Lorins
40. Many perceived curses are blessings in disguise. Discernment is needed to so ascertain smile emoticon ~ Pete Lorins
41. It's a whole lot of darn hard work. But one must work hard and smart in order to reach one's dreams. Talent alone is NEVER enough. Sometimes we need a bit of luck, divine intervention and whatever the heck you want to call it. But for sure, we're keeping the faith and we're never in doubt! ~ Pete Lorins
42. God is amazing... God implants the seeds of dreams, and supplements that with the water of courage, and determination. Leaving self-discipline to us in the form of free will, God puts us in some level of control, yet in not so much control. Almighty God, I'm NOT WORTHY, and I thank you for EVERYTHING and will ask you for nothing more today! ~ Pete Lorins
43. The circumstances are never the same, yet often the destinations are equal, which makes life misleadingly unfair. However, life is FAIR. Because we are different, so are or paths, yet for those who are willing to succeed, the destination is the same. It's called SUCCESS! ~ Pete Lorins :-)
44. There comes a time when we need to share more love than hate. There comes a time when we need to love even those that are not lovable and embrace even those that hate just for the sake of hating. In the process, we might end up changing hearts and turn them into people that believe in "love" instead of "hate or hatred". ~ Pete Lorins
45. Sometimes trouble in paradise is to transform a presumed paradise into a true one. ~ Pete Lorins
46. Re: Pres. Barack Obama! America ought to be proud of President Obama. He is a beacon of light to the World and a product of America. Not everything or everyone that America produces has been good to the World, but I believe that Mr. Obama is an amazing man. In the face of obstacles, he never faltered. In the face of controversies, he kept keeping on. The measure of a man is where "he stands at times of challenge and controversy"... in exhorting African leaders to step up to the plate, in being the first American President to visit Kenya (East Africa's biggest economy and his father's homeland) this man showed that HE IS TRULY NO ORDINARY MAN. Mr. President, I truly do LOVE YOU, not because you're the first BLACK PRESIDENT, but because you're a VERY DEEP and SPECIAL MAN. You might be 10 years my senior, but I, finally, fully understand you sir. I hope that Americans will, one day, put their differences aside and appreciate the fact that you were part of this World and their world. I pray that events will ensue that will unite Americans with you at their center. YOU DESERVE IT!
47. It is in our most demanding and stressful days that we will recognize who: <> our true friends are; <> is looking out for us; <> give a flying you know what about us... We live, we learn and well SHALL remember! ~ Pete Lorins
48. None of us is truly better than the other, but some of us have managed to live a better and happier life because of values, self-concepts, outlook on life and even belief in a God. So, yes, we're all equal but our experiences in life aren't. ~ Pete Lorins
49. How to Filter out the Fake Friends! Those who are truthful will always have more enemies than friends, but will always have better friends. And those who utter lies to earn favors will always become fake friends to those who listen to their lies. Often, your purported best friend is not only your worst enemy, but also the best liar in the world, which will make the latter become your enemy in the long run anyway. So, it's good to stick to the truth and allow fate to take its course every time. Speak your mind, and utter the truth. IT's a great way of filter out the fake friends ~ Pete Lorins
50. My Father's Voice: I can hear his voice tell me, sometimes son, you'll have to walk close to the halls of defeat just to get to the stadiums of celebration... Truer words have never been spoken. I had the GREATEST DAD in the World as a child. That's my story and I am sticking to it! LOL ~ Pete Lorins
51. "Patience is a necessary ingredient of genius" ~ Dangeli D.
52. I admit that I'm an "equal opportunity offender"... I am likely to offend anyone, and everyone sometimes when I utter the truth. But I'd rather utter the truth every time instead of remember lies that I tell individuals just to please them. At least I am as consistent and honest as I can be. I recall saying something to my Mom once that concerned her highly, but then she thought about it and realized that I was honest. I It might have hurt her, but it also made her realize how special my Father. ~ Pete Lorins
53. An intellectually-minded person should be able to even put himself or herself in the mind of a criminal without even being bothered by it simply to see a means to an end, i.e., that of understanding the source of the criminal's actions. The search for the truth instead of fictions, hyperbole, and pure imaginative CRAP is restricted to those who are willing to be WRONG 1000000 times, only to be right about the truth ONCE! ~ Pete Lorins
54. I feel very BLESSED... WHY? Well, a few decades into life, ALMIGHTY GOD granted my childhood wish... That of learning as much as I could have learned within the time that I am allotted. I never thought I was going to do it academically. But I always knew I would learn as if my life depended on it. As I start to finally approach the end of my very extensive academic journey, I must say ONE THING... well, I'm a many of many words, how about A FEW OR MORE LOL Life is a Meritocracy God's mercy is limitless Some people are good Persistence and Determination are nearly omnipotent We all deserve second chances We all err and fall short of perfection or God's grace sometimes People first, Money second GOD is GOOD! Follow your DREAMS... Meet the OBSTACLES... Do what it takes... and reap the fruits of hard work and determination. Many who were less gifted than you are DID. I hope this message will encourage some one out there today... ~ Pete Lorins
55. You are capable of more than you know. Choose a goal that seems right for you and strive to be the best, however hard the path. Aim high. Behave honorably. Prepare to be alone at times, and to endure failure. Persist! The world needs all you can give”- WILSON
56. WATCHOUT If too many people like you, you're either: 1) Not always telling them the truth; or 2) You simply stand for NOTHING in particular... NOW - I am sure I just lost a few more Facebook friends b/c of that ONE because I just uttered the TRUTH! LOL ~ Pete Lorins
57. I am not made of steel, nor am I made of stones... but GOD is and so long as God is, so am I DARN IT~ Pete Lorins
58. A WINNER'S MINDSET - My View of IT! A winner's spirit is never broken. It remains CONSTANT in both good and bad days. A winner makes a bad situation better by learning from it. A Winner's goal is not just to win, but to also ENJOY the ride, including the bumps and twists and turns... A winner never allows himself/herself to remain unhappy for too long about anything, because in the grand scheme of things five things appear to matter the most: 1) Love 2) Health 3) Family 4) One's own definition of success/winning... :) 5) The Ride - how much did we enjoy it all? I believe that I have had a BALL with it ALL! TRULY! Had today been my last day, I would have been pleased with what I made with what I had. Life is short folks. Let nothing steal your joy. ENJOY THE DARN RIDE and LIVE each day as if it were your last and learn from life as if you will live FOREVER! Sincerely, ~ Pete Lorins
59. We may not be perfect, but the quest for perfection continues still! We may sometimes be wrong, but we are NEVER in DOUBT baby! - Pete Lorins
"60. Never regard study as a duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn." Albert Einstein
61. "If you have too many 'presumed' friends, you probably are a very good liar or perhaps you seldom tell them the truth naturally. Too many people choose deception over truth. I would prefer to have 5 amazingly true friends that would die for me, than 5,000,000 fake opportunist ones. Life is too darn short for BS"
~ Pete Lorins
62. DECISIONS: Life is made of decisions/will power. It started with God's decisions to create. Followed by our decision to procreate. We're all a product of such a decision. Thus, the totality of life is about good or bad decisions or better yet, good decisions that may produce bad results and bad ones that often produce even better results than anticipated. But the common denominators is:> GOD... Why?Because God created, all created species can only PRO-CREATE... which means, keeping God's creations eternal... hence, God's spirit remains eternal in those that choose to believe in God! ~ Pete LorinsI
63. I may be kind of a loner, but I have an army of amazingly special friends that make me feel like a SUPER STAR every day. I don't need FAME to feel special. I prefer substance and authenticity! ~ Pete Lorins
64. A woman who ONLY has a beautiful body is good for a night or two, but a woman with a beautiful mind is good for a lifetime :) ~ Pete Lorins
65. When PEOPLE say that I'm just very intelligent... I'm RATHER INSULTED...Not that I am not thankful for intelligence, but FOR CRYING OUTLOUD, I do work my Black rear end off every day, and I have been doing it non-stop for the past 30 years... So, if you want to be my friend, please acknowledge both character traits... Thank you! :) ~ Pete Lorins
66. PASSIONWithout undying passion for anything and God and a great support system, most if us will die as underachievers. Thus, I exhort folks to be passionate about something, to love God their maker, and to know who is looking out for you b/c sometimes your worst enemy can be your best friend, and at others, your best friend can be straight from hell. Be prudent, Godly, and for Christ's sake, be passionate... I want to be PASSIONATE 'til my very last EFFING BREATH! ~ Pete Lorins
67. Being a GENIUS is not enough. Remember that the World is filled with UNREWARDED GENIUSES...
~ Pete Lorins
68. Men just cannot resist the urge to procreate, even when there is no sex involved
~ Jeremy Langmead
69. People love comfort, more of the same, and hate change, or hate to be challenged. The IRONY is, more often than not, the latter is exactly what's best for them! ~ Pete Lorins
70. PEER PRESSURE
It's easy to follow the HERD. Easy to think like everyone else. Easy to copy everyone else. Easy to try to fit in to be cool. But, it's original to be oneself, and hard to go against the status quo... hard to tell people that are sure they are right, that they are not just wrong, but DEAD WRONG... that there is a better way to do things. I respect those in history who have been vilified in order to tell the truth a lot more than those who have been glorified for saying what people wanted to hear. It's so easy to do that! ~ Pete Lorins
71. Since to ERR is HUMAN...All wise human beings should always start expressing themselves with the following:"CORRECT ME if I'm WRONG"...as opposed to thinking that they're never wrong (or always right).In fact, you're already WRONG to thik that you're often right!
72. Some fail to win, while others win only to fail later... Make sure you don't fall in either of those two categories ~ Pete Lorins ;)
73. Racism is like a wound. When closed it can only become more and more infected or necrotic. The fact that America has become more OPENLY RACIST is a good thing... it's counter-intuitive, but an OPEN WOUND has a higher probability of healing than a closed one ~ Dr. Pete Lorins ;)
74. Black People and OBAMAI love Obama, but he was not the President that we had expected him to be... he was shrewd and calm, but b/c he was HUMAN and INEXPERIENCED with business as a whole, he also did make some FATAL MISTAKES. Since we don't get to have so many Black presidents, we have to hang on to Obama's great achievement. However, he wasn't THE PRESIDENT that his FIRST SPEECH represented. He could have done a much better job than he did. He was supposed to be the Black Messiah, at least the UNITY Messiah. Just because one is Black, it doesn't mean that he should agree with everything Obama did. That's called EXTREMISM and THOUGHTLESSNESS. ~ Dr. Pete Lorins
75. IN THE PURSUIT OF YOUR DREAMS...Keep a clean heart and a right spirit... Never listen to those that will doubt you UNLESS it is to MOTIVATE you to ensure that they are PROVEN WRONG... as the best way to prove one's GENIUS is with RESULTS... Just tell them in your heart... SEE YA IN A FEW YEARS OR SO and we'll see who was SMARTER! lol ~ Pete Lorins
76. ROYAL WEDDING (English Prince Harry's)
I don't care about it. Don't talk to me about it. Should I feel honored because SOME WHITE DUDE is marrying some BIRACIAL (Black and White) Lady... As a parent of Black daughters, I would be highly concerned about my CHILD'S SANITY after such publicity and exposure to ARISTOCRATIC BS. I mean, I wish them all the best... but I seem to dislike WEDDING and BURIAL CEREMONIES... what's important is HOW WE TREAT PEOPLE DAILY... not a BIG SHOW OFF DAY... PRINCESS DIANA was treated LIKE SHIT by that dork named PRINCE CHARLES... I mean, most PRIVILEGED WHITE DUDES have proven themselves to be the worst people on EARTH anyway. It would have been my worst night mare to have my daughter marry a RICH ROYAL WHITE DUDE. I'm just saying! Heard that Trisha Lorins? LOL
<< MORE QUOTES WILL BE ADDED SOON... come back for more and feel free to share this page w/ your friends >>
Maya Angelou... Need I say more?
By Pete Lorins
In honor of the achievements of the legendary Maya Angelou, we created a post in this section about 10 of her best quotes... her quotes and poems are so legendary that they are cherished by people of all shades, creeds, race, national origin and religion.
Brief Biography of Maya Angelou:
Ms. Angelou was born on April 4, 1928 as Marguerite Ann Johnson in St. Louis, Mo.She attended high school in San Francisco, and studied dance and drama. At the age of 14, she dropped out of school and became the city's first African-American, female street car conductor. Subsequently, she graduated and gave birth to her son, Guy Thompson.
In 1954 and 1955, Angelou toured Europe with the opera production Porgy and Bess. She moved to Cairo, Egypt,in 1960, to become the editor of an English-language weekly newspaper. The following year, she moved to Ghana and taught at the University of Ghana's School of Music and Drama. Angelou read and studied voraciously, mastering several languages, including French, Spanish, Italian, Arabic and the West African language Fanti.
Civil Rights Movement
Angelou met Malcolm X while in African, and, in 1964, returned to America with him to help form his Organization of African American Unity. And in 1965, after Malcolm X's assassination, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. asked Angelou to serve as northern coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.Dr. King's assassination devastated Maya Angelou. She wrote a poem entitled Abundant Hope for the 2011 dedication of the MLK Memorial in Washington, D.C.
She went on to write many books like "I know why the caged bird sings", and made several TV appearances. In 2000, she received the Presidential Medal of Arts and, subsequently she received the the Lincoln Medal in 2008. In 2010, she was awarded with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Obama. Angelou has also won three Grammy Awards for her spoken-word albums.
Some of her best Quotes
"If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love."
"The truth is, no one of us can be free until everybody is free."
"I'm a woman Phenomenally."
"Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."
"Nothing will work unless you do."
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
“Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances."
"While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated."
"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return."
Mr. Pete Lorins is the chief editor of LorinsPOST and can be reached at: