101 Wisdom Quotes/Principles by Which You Can Live a Wisdom-filled Life!
I am a lover of quotes and wise words. Thus, many have called me a “wordsmith” over the years. But, truly, what interests me the most is the wisdom behind such words. Please find 101 personally -picked wisdom quotes to help you secure a wisdom-filled life. Enjoy!
1. To the World, you may be just one person. But to one person, you may be the World.
2. You don’t have to be great to get started, but you have to get started if you want to have a chance of becoming great ~ Les Brown
3. Morality is an understanding that others should be treated the way you yourself would wish to be treated.
4. Before you can score, you must first have a goal.
5. Talking without thinking is like shooting without taking aim.
6. The best mirror is an old and good friend.
7. One can judge the true character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
8. Riches serve a wise man, but command a fool.
9. Those who are wise seek wisdom, but those who are foolish believe that they have found it.
10. Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead; don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow; Just walk beside me so that we may be as one ~ Native American Proverb
11. The wise person is sometimes content to play the fool.
12. The wealthiest man in the World is the one who has good health throughout his life.
13. Don’t approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back or a fool from any side ~ Jewish Proverb
14. Each day, when we awake, we’re reborn because we have a chance to make a fresh start.
15. It is useless to quarrel over religion. All great religions seek the same goal, which is spiritual enlightenment; they simply chose different paths to get there.
16. Without wisdom, wealth is worthless
17. Genius is distinct from wisdom; Genius is a gift, while wisdom is a craft that we must learn.
18. Be satisfied with needs, not wants.
19. Wise men see and hear like little children do ~ Lao Tzu
20. For the wise, learning never ends.
21. The wise person must have many types of knowledge:
i. To know what the goal of life (or his/her life) is;
ii. To assess whether the goal is achievable;
iii. To find out how to reach it;
iv. How to avoid danger;
v. How to take advantage of opportunity;
vi. How to understand others and oneself;
vii. How to endure the difficulties of life; and last but not least
viii. How to savor its joys.
22. Science gives us knowledge, but only philosophy gives us wisdom ~ Will Durant
23. Time ripens all things; no person is born wise ~ Cervantes
24. Don’t try to predict the future, instead try to invent it.
25. Sometimes, it’s worth asking yourself: if I could have anything I wanted in life, what would it be? You may find that the things that really matter in life, you already have.
26. Your own soul is nourished when you are kind; it is destroyed when you are cruel.
27. On your way up, treat those you meet with kindness and courtesy; you are sure to meet them again on your way down.
28. Remember, it ain’t over ‘till it’s over.
29. Fame and fortune should serve a purpose; they are not an end in themselves.
30. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
31. In life, we must face the fact that no matter how hard we try or fought, we may not achieve our goals.The latter is a possibility. But if we don’t try we are certain not to achieve our goals!
32. Sometimes we solve a problem and reach a conclusion. More often, we just reach a conclusion because we’re bored of thinking about a problem.
33. Wise people are those who are able to admit, from time to time that they are wrong.
34. If you want to test a man’s character, give him power. ~ Abraham Lincoln
35. Conduct yourself fin such a way that you bring joy to your friends, and none to our foes.
36. Those who would be constant in happiness or wisdom much change often ~ Confucius
37. A wise old owl lived in an oak; the more he saw, the less he spoke, and the less he spoke, the more he heard. Why aren’t we like that wise old bird?
38. A health scare can remind you of what’s important about life, and encourage you to think more carefully about how you want to live in the future.
39. “You cannot bring prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further brotherhood of men by inciting class hatred.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves”
~ Abraham Lincoln
40. In the end, we will remember no the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends ~ Dr. MLK…
41. Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' ~ Dr. MLK Jr.
42. Nothing in the entire world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.
43. Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend. Martin Luther King, Jr.
44. Once in a while, plan a day when you make no plan at all…
45. The best way to knock the chip off your neighbor’s shoulder is to pat him on the back
46. A person consists of his faith. Whatever his faith is, so is he!
47. Tell your friend a lie; if he keeps it a secret, tell him the truth.
48. WISDOM = Sagacity, discernment, and insight.
49. One should go invited to a friend in good fortune; and uninvited in misfortune ~ Swedish proverb
50. We must take change by the hand, or rest assuredly, change will take us by the throat.
~ Winston Churchill
51. The best parents are those who can let their children be the people they are, instead of deciding who they are for them.
52. It is important to have aims in life. But it’s also important to be open to change, and to see the positive when circumstances conspire to make our goals impossible.
53. Do not erase the present by thinking about the future.
54. Pursue wealth, not money; they are two different things.
55. Live in harmony with yourself, and you will live in harmony with others.
56. The wise person listens carefully when others speak, holding back the impulse to respond, interrupt, or give an opinion until it is asked for.
57. The man who never alters his opinions is like standing water and breeds reptiles of the mind.
~ William Blake
58. Fools know that they know; the wise know that they don’t
59. The greatest strength is gentleness. ~ Native American proverb
60. Flex your wisdom muscle; like your body, your mind needs exercise
61. True wisdom cannot be measured in terms of what the World thinks. Sometimes a wise decision can look like a foolish one at the time.
62. Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. ~ Chief Seattle
63. Most of us want the things that money can buy; but once our basic needs are satisfied, the things that make us happiest are the things that money cannot buy.
64. The wise person makes sure not to have too many opinions, especially on subject that knows nothing about.
65. I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.
~Leaonardo da Vinci
66. Failure is sometimes the first step on the path to success.
67. A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small parcel ~ John Ruskin
68. If we expect material possessions to make us happy we are bound to be disappointed
69. The past is the past; we can learn from it, but we should not grieve for it, since we cannot change it.
70. If you are wise, you will value your friends, and make sure to keep them throughout life.
71. It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. ~ Charles Darwin
72. If we want to live life to the fullest, we must take risks. Without sorrow, there is no joy; without loss, no gain; and without conflict, no peace.
73. Trying to master a skill can be a long, painstaking business that requires not only patience, but also the wisdom to understand that perfection can never be achieved.
74. It is pleasant when those around you agree with you; but you may find you learn more about yourself, and the world, when they don’t.
75. Recognizing how you yourself learn is the key to turning experience into wisdom.
76. If you think you’re not conceited, it means you are very conceited indeed. ~ C.S. Lewis
77. We learn to be wise by making mistakes.
78. When pride cometh cometh, then cometh shame; but with the humble is wisdom. ~ The Bible
79. Do not be afraid to be sad. By so doing, you may free your mind of sad thoughts, and become joyful again.
80. No one can instruct you in the ways of wisdom; it is a secret that you must learn yourself.
81. What soap is to the body, water is to the soul. ~ Yiddish Proverb
82. Solitude is not the same as loneliness. It may provide us with a chance to think, work, and rest without distraction. It is an essential part of our spiritual and creative lives, and one that we need to pay attention to from time to time.
83. Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. ~ Immanuel Kant
84. The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth. ~ Pierre Abelard
85. The doors of wisdom are never shut ~ Benjamin Franklin
86. The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. ~ Williams James
87. The best way to avoid a bad action is by doing a good one. ~ John Clare
88. You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. ~ Naguib Mahfouz
89. Some folks are wise, and some folks are otherwise. ~ Tobias Smollett
90. Thinking is easy, but acting is difficult, and to put one’s thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
91. The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends the unreasonable man.
~ George Bernard Shaw
92. Be happy. It is one way of being wise. ~ Colette
93. Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans. ~ John Lennon
94. Pick battles big enough to matter and small enough to win. ~ Jonathan Kozol
95. The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes. ~ Winston Churchill
96. There is an element of truth in every idea that lasts long enough to be called corny ~ Irving Berlin
97. No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking. ~ Voltaire
98. To be angry is to revenge the faults of others on ourselves. Alexander Pope
99. Mistakes are the portals of discovery. ~ James Joyce
100. A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study. ~ Chinese Proverb
101. A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds. ~ Francis Bacon
Today's best author is yesterday's best learner. To err is human, but failure to learn therefrom is costly!
~ Dr. Pete
Malcom X on Blacks and the Democratic Party: "You put them first, and they put you last..." b/c you're a a POLITICAL CHUMP!
CHUMP defined - easily deceived person
It is easy to hate. Many who condemn hatred HATE right back. When I learned to love the World, I became the happiest man on Earth!
MY FRIENDS: If your belief does not equate to SELF-LOVE or LOVE/FORGIVINESS for all, living may end making no sense to u!
"Your own soul is nourished when you are KIND; it is destroyed when you are CRUEL." ~ King Solomon (One of My Favorite Kings)
INDECISION is a kind of decision - to PROCRASTINATE
Truly educated minds (intellectuals) thrive with opposing views and see them as a refinement opportunity & not mere insults!
VACCINE? Life is about RISKS-BENEFITS analyses. Glass-Half-Full-Half-Empty arguments. Which side outweigh the other? Your Call!
Keeping up w/ the JONES is like trying CRACK... it's bound to make you miserable eventually! LOL ~ Dr. Pete
When BAD THINGS happen to GOOD PEOPLE, they become BETTER PEOPLE, not WORSE PEOPLE!
Politics or Hollywood may make some of us famous or even richer, however, it may also destroy our life's true course or even soul!
MINIMALISM & FAITH helped me find Freedom from fear, worry, overwhelm, guilt, depression & consumer culture trappings.
The challenge w/ sharing wisdom is that it requires wisdom to understand wisdom. Playing music is pointless w/ a deaf audience!
A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor. Prov. 29 v. 23
Life has both Negativities & Positive Vibes. However, YOU are in charge of what you allow to enter YOUR WORLD/MIND!
~ Dr. Pete
Other than drug abuse, nothing wastes life away more than those who create useless problems in their heads unnecessarily!
One last thing b4 my HIATUS... EQUALITY pursuits are wasteful. Whether it's about gender, race, color... It's ok to be different!
The IRONY is that being a LIBERAL has nothing to do with CONSERVING FREEDOM! Often it is all about killing freedoms
~ Dr. Pete :)
Keep a GREAT ATTITUDE... you might see how others treat you while being ignorant of how you treat others. Stay kind & Positive!
When I arrived here, we had no Blacks or other non-Whites on TV or high positions. TODAY, either is JUST NORMAL! Be Grateful!
In the end, I tend to pick SUBSTANCE over FORM! Common sense over B.S.! 😀👍
Be real w/ your kids. Don’t act like you were perfect at their age. Help them learn from your own Flaws and those of others!
Dr. Lorins is the Chief Editor of LorinsPost.com… This article is sponsored by www.TurnkeyVentures.net